International Women’s Day is a time to both reflect on the extraordinary contributions women have made throughout history and to raise awareness about the continued struggle for women’s rights and equality.
It’s important to remember that progress doesn’t only happen on a global scale. International Women’s Day is a wonderful opportunity to celebrate the women in our lives who make the world better in both big and small ways.
Just as every woman is unique, so too do they deserve to be honored in their own special ways.
Here are three meaningful ways to show the women in your life just how much you value them.
Prepare An Unforgettable Meal
We all know how hectic weekdays can be. Because International Women’s Day falls during the week this year, it may seem daunting to create a meal worthy of the special women in your life. Fortunately, we have a delicious recipe that is both easy to make and sure to please.
Garlic Butter Shrimp Fettuccine
- Fettuccine pasta (or your favorite type of pasta)
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 stick unsalted butter, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Reserve.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes.
- Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add shrimp and cook until pink (about 3 minutes). Set aside.
- In the same skillet, melt the remaining 6 tablespoons butter and stir in pasta, and parmesan. Finally, stir in the shrimp.
- Top with parsley and serve immediately.
Now that you’ve planned a delicious meal, it’s time to think about the presentation. Available in two colors, the versatile Sophie Stoneware Dinnerware set by Stone + Lain complements any table.
The neutral tones and geometric patterns of the Sophie Stoneware Dinnerware fit perfectly with the day’s messages of unity and equality.
Donate In Their Honor
International Women’s Day is about female empowerment. Show the women in your life that you care about issues that are important to them. Find out which female focused organizations they admire and make a donation in their honor.
If you’re unsure which organizations to choose, consider making donations to the following worthy causes:
- Women for Women International provides a broad array of vital support and education for women in 8 countries around the world that have felt the devastating effects of conflict.
- Care International works in 104 countries around the world to end poverty.
- HeforShe partners with worldwide leaders who make tangible commitments towards accelerating gender equality.
- Rise Up provides online communication tools for people and groups working on liberatory social change.
Organize an International Women’s Day Movie Night
Movies and documentaries can be a powerful tool to highlight the struggles and accomplishments of women throughout history. Some recent favorites include:
On the Basis Of Sex: An American biographical legal drama film based on the life and early cases of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
Hidden Figures: The story of a team of female African-American mathematicians who served a vital role in NASA during the early years of the U.S. space program.
Suffragette: A British historical drama about women's suffrage in the United Kingdom.
Selma: A chronicle of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s campaign to secure equal voting rights via an epic march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama, in 1965.